Friday 26 October 2012

Taking Control


I found this task difficult. Mainly because I don't know what it will be like when I get to Texas. So, for now, I'm setting broad goals and I'll refine them as I become familiar with the people, climate and what activities are available to me.

The one big revelation was my major reward. I was thinking about skydiving, white water kayaking, hang gliding,....
Then there was an epiphany. I want desperately to go to Machu Picchu. And I've been contemplating a walking holiday (New Zealand, Kilamanjaro, were amongst the many places I'd considered). Why not combine the two and do a walk to Machu Picchu. So there are MAJOR planning requirements here - but my goal is to do this walk. I'm not sure when (the walking season is supposed to be May-Sept but the wet season is supposed to be good for waterfalls on the Salkantay walk. So I'm not sure whether this will be a 6 or 12 month goal but it's my reward for finishing a marathon.

My major milestones are:
  • Get to 65kg and stay there.
  • Run a marathon (or two)
  • Adventure holiday in South America.
1 month milestones (Dec 2012)
  • Reach 67kg - by following 12WBT
  • Run 50km in a week - join a run club in Houston; start a marathon training plan; do extra cross-training and abdominal work to improve my form.
3 month milestones (Feb 2013)
  • Reach 65kg - by following 12WBT
  • Complete a 38km training run - continue with marathon training plan; do extra cross-training and abdominal work to improve my form.
6 month milestones (May 2013)
  • Maintain 65kg - by following 12WBT principles
  • Run a marathon (target March 2013) - complete marathon training plan; do extra cross-training and abdominal work to improve my form.
12 month milestones (Nov 2013)
  • Maintain 65kg - by following 12WBT principles
  • Run a marathon faster - repeat marathon training plan, do extra cross-training and abdominal work to improve my form.
  • South American Adventure Holiday - plan, plan, plan; practice walks around USA; stock up with equipment and clothing.

1 comment:

  1. What a great plan. Good luck! A few years ago I walked to Machu Pichu and it was such an amazing experience. Walking at altitude is an experience in itself.

    ReplyDelete